17 replies to this topic

#1 laws_pt

laws_pt

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

I have a large piece of purple Australian acropora that is dying pretty quickly from the base upwards. It has an orange acro crab living in it. Four dead stalks in three days so far. Calcium was 400, Alk was down to 7, and Mag is about 1300. Temp and lighting are all good. All other corals are thriving. Any ideas??

#2 Eckolancer

Eckolancer

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

Ice read that when sps dies from base up it has a disease. You need to cut the base off from the top. This happened on one I had for about a year out of no where. Cut the base off and the good part is still living and growing good now. Make sure to cut it with a little more then just the dieing part as you dont want any left behind.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

#3 Derek4real

Derek4real

BOD - Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

Is this a wild acro?

#4 kuyatwo

kuyatwo

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:26 AM

Alk is too low if that is 7dkh....unless you are running ulns system you don't want alk that low and even then that is bottom range of normal range on a ulns tank. Cut the flesh portion and mount it and see if you can save it

#5 laws_pt

laws_pt

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

It's a wild acro I believe. I dosed alk and calcium last night and will re-check today. Two more stalks gone during the night. Going to get snips after work to cut off all the dead and dying stalks. I've also been told to do a coral dip for the remaining live portion. Any thoughts on that?

#6 Dallas Reefer

Dallas Reefer

BOD - Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Get that ALK up! For one.
175 bow, continuously being upgraded
stealing the outdoor reef tank idea. still in the thought process ;)

#7 laws_pt

laws_pt

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

Yea, getting the Alk up was the first thing i did. But thanks for that.

#8 Dallas Reefer

Dallas Reefer

BOD - Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

Iodine dip?

#9 laws_pt

laws_pt

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

I have a friend comming over to frag out the dead and dying portions and we're going to do a coral rx dip.

#10 Dallas Reefer

Dallas Reefer

BOD - Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

Cool deal. Take some pictures.

#11 Eckolancer

Eckolancer

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

While doing that look for little acro eating flat worms and red bugs as well they will not fall off with coral RX.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

#12 laws_pt

laws_pt

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

We got the dying pieces fragged out and dipped the rest. Cross my fingers the rest pull through. So far it's looking good. Thanks for all your replies. I think I saved a good portion of this coral.

Travis

#13 TankGirl

TankGirl

BOD - Treasurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

How's it going??

#14 laws_pt

laws_pt

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

I have one small frag and one med frag that look like they may pull through. we tried to save one large piece but i'm not to sure if it's going to make it. lost two small frags yesterday. So we'll see.

#15 kuyatwo

kuyatwo

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

What are all your parameters?

Nitrates
Calcium
Salinity
Alkalinity
Phosphates
Magnesium

What lighting do you have? How big is the tank? What's your flow? Do you run any media?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 laws_pt

laws_pt

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

My alk had dropped to 7, phosphates are 0.23. everything else is normal. I have a 1st gen radion on 70% over a 4ft 105 gal tank. good water flow and no media reactors.

#17 kuyatwo

kuyatwo

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:26 AM

Your phosphates are high need to be 0.03 or less. That can also contribute to the sps rtning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by kuyatwo, 24 April 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#18 ImageX

ImageX

Sponsor & Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

if your alk is dropping that fast... mag is one thing you need to check to stablize mag... and aefw like mentioned before is probably what it is... coming from the bottom up killing it is probably aefw.. i usually used bayer advanced incesticide for dipping it works better then coral rx and coral revive.. google it.. you'll see... but ya your phosphates are seriously high... but on cal and mag and temp and salinity what would you consider normal?? i learn after owning a shop alot of customers are misinformed about what is normal.. alot of people have hydrometers and those salinity meters are way off on what is the norm... most think 1.021 is normal due to the hydrometers... so what is the rest of your params??

also wild acros are a pain to keep alive.. you really have to keep the alk low.. natural seawater is pretty low... not only that when receiving the the acro take alk from the bag... then slowly adjust... note you can only bump 1dkh per day... most people that receive wild acros have to have a separate tank to receive wild acros.. they adjust em to captivity then they mite be good.. which is why captive breed acros are expensive.. it takes time and patience to mature them to captivity and they mite also change colors on you... what you thought was a nice acro can turn into the ugliest thing you ever seen in captivity.. just a note but hope your acro made it.. if not then take note all that i've said... I've went thru tons of wild acros... really the only people i've seen that have been able to correct wild to captive locally is fish2tomorrow.. but they charge for it... it's not a simple thing to adjust em.. it's a pain in the butt... bright colors will most likely dull... if your a acro noob i wouldnt suggest doing wild acros..
Wayne :P

Posted Image
Local retailer for avast marine products www.avastmarine.com
coralife reef salt for $50 a 200g box!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users