8 replies to this topic

#1 Richard

Richard

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:22 AM

I went to see my buddy Mark today with plans of buying some Armor of Gods and some Kryptonite Candy Cane. Not only did I get a very good deal from him, I got a great deal from him.
This is what I came home with for less money than I have seen anyone selling corals on here...

20 polyps of Armor of Gods
Posted Image

3 heads of Kryptonite Candy Cane
Posted Image

1 1/2" of Forest Fire Digitata
Posted Image

3"x3" of Green Apple Monti Cap
Posted Image

6 polyps of Pink Polyps
Posted Image

Entirely Encrusted Frag disc of Purple Haze
Posted Image

I won't say what I paid for this but I will say I only paid for the Armor of Gods and the Kryptonite Candy Cane. I am posting this because I first of all wanted to deeply say THANKS to Mark but I have been noticing people talking about all these motions and political crap about people like Mark who spend lots of time and money on Coral Propagation just for the fun of it. We have so many good people on here and they are all gonna get ran off because it seems the club is starting to care more about the sponsors than the members. This is terrible especially when the title of this forum is "Coral Propagation/Breeding
The future of our hobby must come from our tanks, not the ocean. Discussion on how to make this a reality"
I know that what is stated in the title of this forum is what Mark believes in and does. He does not go buy colonies and cut them up for profit like so many on here do, he actually takes the time and spends the money to propagate corals and them gives them away. Why? Because he can and he loves that he has a green thumb at growing corals. I wish I would have seen the said motion or whatever before so I could have put in my two cents but it was already closed. But like I said before this club is for the members not the sponsors nor the BOD. It is all about the members and if people like Mark want to sell corals cheap and even give them away, why can't they without being asked to be a sponsor? It does not matter if they have one frag tank or ten frag tanks, it is all about if they are trying to profit from it and I know these guys and gals are by no means making a profit.
I say thanks to all of you who actually love and care about this "hobby" and share what you can and as soon as I am able I will definitely share as I have been shared with.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Richard A. Luhring III
Mesquite, TX.

#2 jello

jello

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:01 AM

i for one completely agree. i am in it for the hobby, not to make a profit. buying a polyp of zoa for $20 is just absolutely crazy. I dont care about the names, just what they are. i know its easier to associate corals with the names but everything looks different under different lighting. which this i know as well because one of my tanks has metal halides and the other has t5ho. i have payed for most of my corals which i dont mind paying for them but they have all been grown in local tanks. i have also gotten a lot for free or for trades, which once im ready to start fragging i will be doing the same thing. hobbies cost money and im not in it to get my money back. if i was i would open a business, but that can take the fun out of the hobby. i would rather set up a tank, get it matured and stocked, then sit back and stare at it. then share with others.

it also pains me to see the GBR dying and now the Amazon river drying up(i also love discus and other amazon fish and plants). thankfully they havent noticed any problems with the rift lakes. lets try to do what we can to help these natural wonders survive. and start enjoying the hobby more rather than trying to make a buck, thats what your jobs are for.
Blayne
110gal(rr): reef
40gal stretch hex: planted community
10gal: guppies
6gal fluval edge: scarlet badis-badis

#3 Richard

Richard

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:06 AM

Start enjoying the hobby more rather than trying to make a buck, that is what your jobs are for.

GREAT line!
Thanks jello!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Richard A. Luhring III
Mesquite, TX.

#4 fperkins

fperkins

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:02 AM

motions and political crap about people like Mark who spend lots of time and money on Coral Propagation just for the fun of it. We have so many good people on here and they are all gonna get ran off because it seems the club is starting to care more about the sponsors than the members.

Sponsor concern is simply the smoke-screen for busting Mark's ***.

If some stupid rule comes out of committee, please be there to vote it down and let the folks know we prefer WalMark pricing.

#5 Richard

Richard

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:26 AM

Sponsor concern is simply the smoke-screen for busting Mark's ***.

If some stupid rule comes out of committee, please be there to vote it down and let the folks know we prefer WalMark pricing.

But why bust Mark?
Does he flood the forums with stuff for sell? - NO
Does he over price everything to profit? - NO
Does he even make back what he puts in? - NO

Some of these people on the BOD or who think and wish they were on the BOD need to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9lq8oaK5Mw

Edited by Richard, 10 December 2010 - 05:29 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Richard A. Luhring III
Mesquite, TX.

#6 hooked

hooked

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:27 AM

For Gods sake do not tell Renmar or Bimmz.....rofl

#7 bimmerzs

bimmerzs

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

For Gods sake do not tell Renmar or Bimmz.....rofl

Not sure what your comment means as it pertains to me or why my name would even come up.....please do elaborate.:question:

Edited by bimmerzs, 12 December 2010 - 10:30 AM.

Ron C

See ya at MACNA 2012!!!!
Posted Image

#8 KJ

KJ

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

Richard that forest fire digi is nice! I need to get with Mark and see if it's possible for me to get a frag of that.
I also agree with you on some of the members here in our club being forced into becoming something that they are not.
This past week I visited 2 lfs and spoke with them about the recent closing of 2 of the lfs that have went out of business the last couple of months. They both brought up several reasons why those stores were not able to sustain and continue serving it's customers. I got everything from staff, to economy, to location. Not one mention about hobbyist running them out of business or being the main cause for there downfall.
Although I get great deals from our members who sell their corals on our forums, I also still shop the lfs and buy from our sponsors too. I'm also sure that those members that sell from their coral prop tanks also still shop from our lfs and sponsors frequently.
Hopefully we can get past trying to determine rather or not a certain member should be a business and encourage all of our members propagate corals for the benefit of the hobby as a whole.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kenyon

#9 celebrityovernight

celebrityovernight

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:00 AM

I just walked out of Mark's house with 10+ frags, well mark calls them frags but they're colonies. Its really sad how many people give him crap on this forum. I can see if he bought colonies, chopped them up and sold them. All his frags were grown from tiny frags themselves! I just feel whenever people attack him for "upsetting" the sponsors, i feel its really because he's getting in the way of their own agenda and destroying the "market" for them. Just my 2 cents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users