Photo
- - - - -

How to keep algae under control in a prop tank?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Serk

Serk

Premium Member

• Administrators
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:22 AM

Those of you with prop tanks - How do you keep the algae under control? What clean up crew do you use? Any fish you use in your prop tank?

Having a hard time keeping the algae under control in my prop tank with snails and hermits, considering getting a herbivorous fish to keep things tidy, maybe a smaller tang, but the tank's kinda small for that long term (55 gallon)... Maybe a Centropyge sp., but I'm worried about rolling the dice with one of those in a prop tank...

Thoughts? What do ya'll use?
  • capthlp likes this

#2 Mark

Mark

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

A small Yellow Tang help mine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 Serk

Serk

Premium Member

• Administrators
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

Yeah, that's what I've been considering... Might end up going that route...

Thanks!

Anyone else?

#4 cesartorr74

cesartorr74

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:22 AM

That poor little guy.:skeleton:

#5 CoralUniverse

CoralUniverse

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:15 PM

We put a few little foxface's in our's and they did the job fast.They are about the best I have found.Any of the rabbitfish family would work well though.
Good Luck

#6 Serk

Serk

Premium Member

• Administrators
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:35 PM

We put a few little foxface's in our's and they did the job fast.They are about the best I have found.Any of the rabbitfish family would work well though.
Good Luck

I considered a Foxface, but was concerned about something venomonous swimming around a tank I'll have my hands in THAT often...

Went with a tiny lil' Yellow Tang, picked 'em up last night, we'll see if he is able to clean things up some...

Thanks!

(And still open to other ideas!)

#7 ImageX

ImageX

Sponsor & Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

lawnmower blenny... or astrea snails... tommy put like 20 in his prop tank and no more algae..
Wayne :P

Posted Image
Local retailer for avast marine products www.avastmarine.com
coralife reef salt for $50 a 200g box!

#8 Mark

Mark

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

I considered a Foxface, but was concerned about something venomonous swimming around a tank I'll have my hands in THAT often...

Went with a tiny lil' Yellow Tang, picked 'em up last night, we'll see if he is able to clean things up some...

Thanks!

(And still open to other ideas!)

How is the Tang doing for you?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 Serk

Serk

Premium Member

• Administrators
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

How is the Tang doing for you?

Sadly, the Tang got stuck to one of the modified MJ pumps and didn't last very long... :(

I have since added a FoxFace, which seems to be helping a lot. I still have some nuisance algae in there, but the FoxFace is keeping it under control, I just have to be cognizant of where that fish is when I'm working in the tank...

#10 albert7753

albert7753

Charter Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,348 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:48 AM

I added some Nass. snails in mine
[U]120gal Rimless

#11 handler31

handler31

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:45 AM

Hey Serk
You can always try a phosban reactor you'll just have to feed you foxface some nori now. Just a thought? I have one on my prop tank along with a fox.
Good Luck
Chris

Those of you with prop tanks - How do you keep the algae under control? What clean up crew do you use? Any fish you use in your prop tank?

Having a hard time keeping the algae under control in my prop tank with snails and hermits, considering getting a herbivorous fish to keep things tidy, maybe a smaller tang, but the tank's kinda small for that long term (55 gallon)... Maybe a Centropyge sp., but I'm worried about rolling the dice with one of those in a prop tank...

Thoughts? What do ya'll use?

Chris
N.W. Fort Worth

#12 Serk

Serk

Premium Member

• Administrators
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

Hey Serk
You can always try a phosban reactor you'll just have to feed you foxface some nori now. Just a thought? I have one on my prop tank along with a fox.
Good Luck
Chris

I've been running multiple phosban reactors on my system since it first came online (The prop tank is tied into my display tank, all as one big system.) They help, but they didn't completely eradicate nuisance algae in the prop tank.

However, the Foxface seems to be doing a good job over time at keeping the prop tank clean. I do supplement his diet with some Nori as well to keep him healthy...

Thanks for the input!

#13 TankGirl

TankGirl

BOD - Treasurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

Do Fox Face eat caulerpa...grape and feather? Still trying to get my outbreak under control. Turning the lights off for 48 hours seems to do the trick for the hair algae but the grape caulerpa is still going strong. Time for another water change!!

#14 Serk

Serk

Premium Member

• Administrators
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

Do Fox Face eat caulerpa...grape and feather? Still trying to get my outbreak under control. Turning the lights off for 48 hours seems to do the trick for the hair algae but the grape caulerpa is still going strong. Time for another water change!!

Every fish is of course an individual, but in my experiences, if it's plant like, a Fox Face will eat it... They're some of the best non-invert herbivores out there IMHO...

(I'm sure you know this, but don't pet them though! ;) )

#15 handler31

handler31

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:09 AM

Well I had a large soft ball size dragon's breath algea that i move from one tank to another and forgot to put it back and became a golf ball overnight so i would think that the fox would not have a broblem eating the algea you have in your tank. Good luck Tank Girl
Chris
Chris
N.W. Fort Worth

#16 Toomnymods

Toomnymods

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

I added some Nass. snails in mine

i use small trochus snails in mine, no turbos, or sand bed in mine lawnmower blenny also helps keep the frag plugs clean..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users