#1 ScienceTeacher

ScienceTeacher

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:28 AM

Hey DMAS

My name is Josh, and I teach 6th Gr. Science in Mesquite ISD. Ill give you some background first. I have taught 6th and 8th grade science at New Middle for the past seven years. With the help of many great members here I setup a 75 gallon display aquarium for our school that was amazing for our students. It was an awesome experience for my students, upcoming 6th, and 7th graders, as well as for myself. Not only did my students benefit but I have students that have asked me for the past 2 years to setup another tank because they remember the tank I once had there.

For the 2014-2015 school year, I am starting an aquatic science club at a Shaw Elementary where I will be teaching 5th grade science. Part of our curriculum is setting up aquariums and terrariums in class, and as the clubs only sponsor at the moment, I have large goals and ambitions for the club. I am opening it up to 4,5, and 6th graders who will learn about aquatic science, as well as starting, and maintaining their own tanks (basically any aquatic environment they choose). I have one 10 gallon tank and a 20 gallon tank to start the club with but would like to look for small 5 gallon tanks. I am thinking something along the lines of simple fish like glofish or guppies.

If you have anything laying around you are not going to use, or have anything for sale, please let me know.

Below is the overview of the club: Let me know what you think.

Finally put together an overview of the Aquatic Science Club. Let me know what you think. Questions/Comments/Concerns are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you in advance so much,

Mr. Josh Waymire M.S.
5th Gr. Science
Shaw Elementary
Mesquite ISD

Groups will choose type of tank and organisms
I will provide tank and filter (obviously need to get some tanks and filters) :-)
-Addl. Materials are first come, first serve
Buying fish/organisms are not required – collection is acceptable
Students must either release or find a home for any organisms in June

Part 1: - Research
• Introduce types of tanks
– Based on general ecosystems
• Student groups defined
• Choose type of tank
• Research that tank, complete handout
– Choose animals
– Determine needs:
• Habitat
• Water quality
Part 2: Approval
• Conference with each group
• Student comfort with their tank
– Knows organisms
– Knows water quality
– Knows needed habitat
• Teacher signature required before they can continue

Part 3: Tank Setup
• Clean tank
• Add substrate
• Make habitat and add filter
• Add correct water
– Salt water – RO Water + Salt
– Fresh water – tap water with conditioner
• Add hardy critters – molly’s/hermit crabs
• Filter water for at least 3 weeks
– Monitor nitrogen cycle for spike
– Make sure all other parameters are stable
• Add animals

Part 4: Maintenance
– Test water quality
– Once per week
– Students rotate, each are responsible for a week
– Document on student data sheet
• Requires my signature before complete
– Feeding
• Must know what their species need
• Don’t overfeed – no more than once /day at the most

Edited by ScienceTeacher, 25 May 2015 - 01:20 PM.

120 Gallon Money Pit - Deceased. Will LIVE again
29 Gallon Biocube

#2 MEREDITH

MEREDITH

BOD - Treasurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:01 AM

This is a wonderful project! I love the idea and wish I had something like this in my schools growing up. I may have some things to sell in a few weeks. I hope that's not too late. I might be upgrading soon. I'll let ya know! Keep up the good work though!

#3 Imprezadude

Imprezadude

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationPlano 75023

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:35 AM

wow cool. sounds like a good plan, makes me want to go back to being a kid. I win my schools had an aquarium. science,and math where the subjects I was good at.

Joey- 30g cube - empty,  93g cube - reef fish, and corals. 

I've always been a little crazy it keeps me from going insane.:mad-tongue:
Corals and crack have a lot in common – they’re both high priced tiny pieces of rock that can disappear in the blink of en eye"

#4 ScienceTeacher

ScienceTeacher

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:21 AM

Thanks Joe,

I am excited about the club as well and I am trying to work with local vendors for supplies and fish
29 Gallon Biocube

#5 ScienceTeacher

ScienceTeacher

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:04 PM

First Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to those who have responded and offered help and advice. Well its been a crazy summer but I have been putting together details for the club so here it goes:

What I have:

28 Gallon Nanocube with retrofit LED lighting - Donated by a kind donor (Pics below)
Several fish including mated clowns, purple stripe dottyback, Coral Beauty, snails, and a Halloween hermit crab.
I have most of what I need besides a test kit for general parameters like Ammonia, Nitrite, etc.

There are some corals in the tank but if anyone would be willing to donate some frags or possibly a Nem, I know the students would die to see one living besides on the "finding nemo" movie. Its surprising that students at that age do not understand the symbiosis thats going on between the Nem and fish.

What I still need?
3-4 5 gallon tanks
substrate
filters
small heaters
circulation pumps if anyone has any spare ones laying around.

I will have to have some kind of lid on tanks for health reasons and responsible pet safety (according to the school district policy)

If you would like to help with the club and this initiative it would be greatly appreciated by my students and myself.

Thanks,

Mr. Waymire

Pics Linked here:https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing
29 Gallon Biocube

#6 Imprezadude

Imprezadude

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationPlano 75023

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:14 PM

small heaters? short long, or just low watts? I know I have a few heaters some where. will just need to find them.

Joey- 30g cube - empty,  93g cube - reef fish, and corals. 

I've always been a little crazy it keeps me from going insane.:mad-tongue:
Corals and crack have a lot in common – they’re both high priced tiny pieces of rock that can disappear in the blink of en eye"

#7 ScienceTeacher

ScienceTeacher

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:16 PM

Hey Joe,

I need heaters that will run up to a 10 gallon just in case I cant find any 5 gallons, ill be taking up two 10 gallon tanks that are my personal ones and then Ill try to find 2 more.

Thanks for everything

Josh
29 Gallon Biocube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users