Photo
- - - - -

Competition Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: What competition would you like to have first? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

What competition would you like to have first?

1. Tank Show (2 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Fish Show (1 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Frag grow-out (1 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MEREDITH

MEREDITH

BOD - Treasurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

Hi everyone! We want to put on a healthy and fun competition! We have some pretty great prizes and plan on getting a few more to buff up the competitive nature us Texans have. I want you guy's opinion on what we do! I have a few options to vote on and the winner will be what we do! These are just rough outlines at this point and will be refined to include rules and specifics depending on what is chosen.

Tank Show: Think of it like a home show or a dog show.... There will be a start time and plenty of time to get your tank "show ready". Pictures and threads will be required here on the boards to keep track of who is participating and their progress. Its ideal to keep an eye on your competition too! At the end of the allotted time, judges will travel around to see in person what you've built! I'm thinking Best in Show, Best Nano and Best FOWLR as prize winners.

Fish Show: Same as above where there will be a start time and an end time. We will pick two fish types to use. Example: Clowns and Tangs. We would be looking for color, general health such as weight and growth. I think of this as being more like a dog show than the first option. Prior to the comp start we would announce the fish types, start date and the judge criteria. I see three opportunities to win prizes with this.. Best in each category and Most improved (ei: sick fish recovers to be the bell of the ball)

Frag Growout: I think to keep things simple here (these can be complicated and tricky) we will pick just one kind of coral to use (probably zoas or an sps- we can vote on that too) Start with a certain max size and a set amount of time. Measure every couple weeks until the end and see who can use their husbandry skills to grow their coral the fastest! Lots of opportunities to win here too.

These are my favorites out of the tons of ideas I have floating in my head. If you have something you like better, or would like to see in the future, be sure to post them up here!

Anybody can compete in these contests. You don't have to be an expert aquarist to compete. You don't have to be a premium member (though why wouldn't you?) Being a guest on our forums is free and easy, just sign up and see what your made of! You might even learn something in the process.

Edited by MEREDITH, 10 March 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#2 capthlp

capthlp

BOD - Secretary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:15 PM

I think those ideas are good. The fish and coral ones might be a little challenging but doable.

I see another one that may be good to consider. Best DIY (do it yourself) add-on or project. These could include home made dosing items, sumps, filtration add-ons etc.
Geo
Mesquite, TX.

140g reef tank,
2 250w MH, 2 40w Blue T12 VHO, 40g Sump/refugium
36g reef tank, 46g non-reef safe fish tank
Shhhhh if the wife asks, it only cost $20

#3 MEREDITH

MEREDITH

BOD - Treasurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

Great idea Geo! I will add that one to my list for sure!

#4 Imprezadude

Imprezadude

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationPlano 75023

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:58 PM

I like those ideals. all good ideals.

Joey- 30g cube - empty,  93g cube - reef fish, and corals. 

I've always been a little crazy it keeps me from going insane.:mad-tongue:
Corals and crack have a lot in common – they’re both high priced tiny pieces of rock that can disappear in the blink of en eye"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users